The Bon-Ton Building

Bon-Ton Building • Order A Print

For decades this exquisite structure was the "mecca" for shopping in downtown York, and was the flagship store of The Bon-Ton Stores. It was constructed in 1912 and designed by York’s best-known architect, J.A. Dempwolf. The striking glazed terra-cotta façade and massive rectangular windows fall within the Commercial Style, popularized by department stores in Chicago. The Bon-Ton contained York’s first "moving stairway" (escalator). Over the years, the stepped parapets with ornate details were removed, and the building lost much of its original splendor. In 1990, local architect NuTec Design was commissioned to return the building to its original glory, and convert the vacant store into the York County Government Center. Today, the Bon-Ton Building is again one of the most distinguished structures in York City.

Back to Geographic ChannelBack to Architectural Channel

© 2002 by Scott D. Butcher


Virtual YorkGeographic ChannelArchitectural Channel
History ChannelDiscovery ChannelAbout UsBibliography
LibraryFeedbackOrder FormYorkLinks Home