Brownstone Building

The Brownstone Building Order A Print

Built in 1866 by David E. Small, a railway car manufacturer, the Brownstone Building was most recently occupied by the Susquehanna-Pfaltzgraff Company. However, they have since donated the alluring structure to Martin Library. Architecturally, this building is classified as Italianate, with defining features including quoins, arched windows with keystones, stringcourse with dentils, and cornice with both modillion course and dentil course. Inside, the building features ceiling frescos painted by Costagini and Scataglia, two Italian artists who assisted in the painting of the U.S. Capitol Building. In the early 1940s, a restaurant was located in the Brownstone, and it was also one of the first structures in York to be fully air-conditioned.

Back to Geographic Channel Back to Architectural Channel

2002 by Scott D. Butcher


Virtual York Geographic Channel Architectural Channel
History Channel Discovery Channel About Us Bibliography
Library Feedback Order Form YorkLinks Home