Christ Lutheran Church

Christ Lutheran • Order A Print

The church was constructed in 1812, and the 177-ft. tower was added three years later. Stones from an earlier church (circa 1760) were used for the foundation. The history of the congregation—York’s first Lutheran congregation—dates from 1733. The stately church was remodeled in 1872, and again in 1926. Of note, many American Revolution War dead are buried in the church’s cemetery.  Architecturally, the structure is essentially Federal in design, featuring arched windows with keystones, finials, and modillion course.

Back to Geographic ChannelBack to Architectural Channel

© 2002 by Scott D. Butcher


Virtual YorkGeographic ChannelArchitectural Channel
History ChannelDiscovery ChannelAbout UsBibliography
LibraryFeedbackOrder FormYorkLinks Home