Continental Square -- Northeast Quadrant

Continental Square Northeast • Order A Print

The most prominent building on the northeast quadrant of Continental Square is the First National Bank Building, constructed in 1924. The bank was organized in 1864, and the cornerstone contains both years. It is designed in the Neoclassical Style with Beaux Arts Classicism features (double fluted pilasters, roof balustrade). However, the eagle prominent above the arched entry way is actually reminiscent of the Egyptian Revival Style, which frequently featured a vulture and sun disk symbol with spread wings. This mixture of styles fits into the overall Beaux Arts period (a.k.a., American Renaissance). Of note, this building is located on the site of the National Treasury from 1777-1778, when York served as Capital of the fledgling United States.

The Early-Modern York County Chamber of Commerce Building is somewhat out of place in the mostly historic downtown; however, the black glass does nicely reflect the surroundings. The structure was previously known as Baker One East. Also note the green trolley master’s station—it’s an original, and was in use until 1947.

Back to Geographic ChannelBack to Architectural Channel

© 2002 by Scott D. Butcher


Virtual YorkGeographic ChannelArchitectural Channel
History ChannelDiscovery ChannelAbout UsBibliography
LibraryFeedbackOrder FormYorkLinks Home