Continental Square -- Northwest Quadrant

Continental Square Northwest • Order A Print

The buildings on the northwest corner of Continental Square are still known to many long-time residents as "Bear’s," named for the former Bear’s Department Store. Built in 1911 from a design by J.A. Dempwolf, Bear’s Department Store was a shopping destination until 1975, when it was bought out by another store only to close a few years later. The structure itself contains elements of the Commercial Style, perhaps because it was designed around the same time Dempwolf was designing the nearby Bon-Ton.

Back to Geographic ChannelBack to Architectural Channel

© 2002 by Scott D. Butcher


Virtual YorkGeographic ChannelArchitectural Channel
History ChannelDiscovery ChannelAbout UsBibliography
LibraryFeedbackOrder FormYorkLinks Home