|The original York County Courthouse was
constructed in 1756 and stood in what is now known as
Continental Square (then called "Centre Square"). It
was renovated in 1815 and torn down in 1841. A "clone"
of this building was brought to life in 1976 by the York County
Bicentennial Commission, and now stands at the intersection of
West Market Street and the Codorus Creek. During the American
Revolution, the Second Continental Congress found haven in York
(then known as York Town), escaping the British Troops marching
on their home base in Philadelphia. While in York they debated
and adopted the document which came to be known as The Articles
of Confederation, marking the first time the original thirteen
colonies formally came together under one central government.
They also declared the first national Thanksgiving in
celebration on a Colonial Army victory in Saratoga, New York.
Notable "residents" during this nine-month period
Thomas Paine (see Cookes House)
Horatio Gates (see Gates House)
Phillip Livingston (died in York; buried in Prospect Hill
The original structure is of the Georgian Period and features
a gable roof, cupola, end chimneys, symmetrical
to Geographic Channel Back
to Architectural Channel
© 2002 by Scott D. Butcher