First Presbyterian Church

First Presbyterian • Order A Print

Before this church stood, there was a cemetery. And one of York’s most famous residents—John Smith, signer of the Declaration of Independence—was buried here in 1806. The striking Romanesque Revival structure was built in 1860. Like several nearby buildings—most notably the Billmeyer House next door—the church contains Italaniate features. Some of these features include the arched corbel table, arched windows with hood moldings and corbel stones, beveled posts, and rosettes.

Back to Geographic ChannelBack to Architectural Channel

© 2002 by Scott D. Butcher


Virtual YorkGeographic ChannelArchitectural Channel
History ChannelDiscovery ChannelAbout UsBibliography
LibraryFeedbackOrder FormYorkLinks Home