General Horatio Gates House

Plough Tavern / Gates House • Order A Print

The General Horatio Gates House stands next to the Golden Plough Tavern, and both buildings are listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The Gates House was constructed in 1751 and features an English Colonial Style of construction. The building’s most notable resident was General Horatio Gates, president of the Board of War during the American Revolution. Local legend tells of the Marquis de Lafayette attending dinner in this house, toasting the health of General George Washington, and disrupting the plot to overthrow Washington known as the Conway Cabal.  The "toast" is more myth than fact, and most historians today dispute that the Cabal was anything more than a letter-writing campaign of several disgruntled officers and Congressional delegates.  Noteworthy architectural features include the balanced front façade, pent roof, end chimneys, and central hall floor plan.

Back to Geographic ChannelBack to Architectural Channel

© 2002 by Scott D. Butcher


Virtual YorkGeographic ChannelArchitectural Channel
History ChannelDiscovery ChannelAbout UsBibliography
LibraryFeedbackOrder FormYorkLinks Home