|Known as the Junior League Building and the
home of the Thrift Shop, this structure is a Victorian
hybrid. Notable features include the saw-tooth dentils
and cornice with brackets
above the first level, lintel cornice
with ornamentation and brackets
above the upper-level windows, and prominent brackets under the eaves.
This structure, which contains both Italianate
and Queen Anne influences, also
features paneled facia board under the first floor windows.
Prior to the Junior League purchasing the building, it was
The building was constructed around 1875
on the site of the former
Shakespeare Hotel. Brothers James and Logan Marshall
operated the Marshall
& Bro., Wholesale Liquor Dealers store, and oral tradition
tells of a
speakeasy and tavern operating here during prohibition.
From 1943 to 1961,
this building was the home of Anderson's Hardware Store.
Junior League of
York opened their Thrift Shop here in 1962, originally sharing
Mike's Nut Shop. In 1977, Junior League purchased the
the facade to its original appearance in 1981. For more
Junior League of York, visit their Web site at www.jlyork.org.
to Geographic Channel • Back
to Architectural Channel
© 2002 by Scott D. Butcher