National House

The National House • Order A Print

Known over the years as the White Hall Hotel, National Hotel, and Jack’s, the National House is one of York’s most striking examples of Victorian Period architecture. It was built originally in 1828 as the White Hall Hotel. Sometime before the Civil War it was renamed the National Hotel. In 1863, the rooftop observatory was added. The stacked verandas are reminiscent of antebellum southern architecture.  While a hotel, this building played host to many celebrated Americans, including President Van Buren (1839) and Charles Dickens (1842). In 1921 the building became Jack’s—a women’s department store still sorely missed by many longtime Yorkers. In the late 1990s and early 2000s, the lower level was part of Christmas Tree Hill.

Back to Geographic ChannelBack to Architectural Channel

© 2002 by Scott D. Butcher


Virtual YorkGeographic ChannelArchitectural Channel
History ChannelDiscovery ChannelAbout UsBibliography
LibraryFeedbackOrder FormYorkLinks Home