The Valencia

The Valencia Ballroom • Order A Print

Opened in 1911 as The Coliseum Ballroom, the building is better known as The Valencia. In the 1930s it was known far and wide as one of the best ballrooms in the region, playing host to crowds of up to 2,000 people listening to the likes of Duke Ellington, Tommy Dorsey, Benny Goodman, and even Frank Sinatra. The Valencia even had its own band, the Blue Moon Orchestra.

The original faηade was torn down in the early 1930s, replaced with an Art Deco influenced exterior. The grand ballroom was restored and reopened in the late 1980s.

Back to Geographic Channel • Back to Architectural Channel

© 2002 by Scott D. Butcher


Virtual York • Geographic Channel • Architectural Channel
History Channel • Discovery Channel • About Us • Bibliography
Library • Feedback • Order Form • YorkLinks Home